How to Prevent Your Cat From Being Poisoned With Antifreeze!

How to Prevent Your Cat From Being Poisoned With Antifreeze!

Antifreeze can be deadly for your cat, however, there are eight ways to keep your cat from ingesting antifreeze. Learn what symptoms your cat will display if it drinks some antifreeze. Find out what various states are trying to do to eliminate the problem.


Antifreeze is very important to any car or truck but it can be deadly to your cat. There are two types of antifreeze:

Most major brands of antifreeze contain Ethylene glycol which has a sweet taste and an inviting smell. Because of its sweet flavor and smell is attracts many small animals to drink it. It only takes a small amount, usually around a tablespoon or two to cause the cat serious problems that often lead to the cats death.

There is a brand of antifreeze that contains Propylene glycol which while still toxic to cats is less toxic than Ethylene glycol. This brand of antifreeze has a bitter taste which tends to keep animals from ingesting as much of it.


The major way you can prevent your cat from getting poisoned by drinking antifreeze is by simply using common sense and doing the following:

*Keep your cat away from driveways, garages, rode ways or any other places where it might come into contact with antifreeze.

*Keep your cat away from your vehicle particularly when you are flushing your radiator or adding antifreeze.

*Clean up any spilled antifreeze immediately.

*Monitor your vehicle to make sure you have no antifreeze leaks.

*Do not store antifreeze in an open container. If you do you are just inviting any cat that wanders by to have a gulp.

*By a brand of antifreeze that contains propylene glycol. It is still toxic but the possibility of your cat drinking some of it is reduced.

*Keep your cat away from any other products that contain either propylene glycol or ethylene glycol like paint or cosmetics or any products that you do not know what the ingredients are.

Symptoms of antifreeze poison:

In the 1st 1/2 hour to 1 hour your cat will appear groggy, uncoordinated, lethargic or disorientated. This phase may last several hours. The quicker you get your cat to the vet after your recognize these symptoms especially if you have been working with antifreeze, the better your cats chances are of recovery.

2nd to 3rd day – there will be a great deal of vomiting, oral and gastric ulcers, kidney failure, coma and death. If you have not gotten your cat to the vet by the 2nd day then the chances for recovery are very slim.

State actions:

The following states have passed legislation making it mandatory that antifreeze producers add a bitter agent to their ethylene glycol antifreeze: Oregon, California, New Mexico, Arizona, Tennessee and Maine. Other states have tried to pass similar legislation but have been blocked by special interest.

While antifreeze can be deadly to your cat if you follow the eight steps to prevent your cat from getting into antifreeze. If your cat displays any symptoms get it to the vet immediately especially if you have been working with antifreeze where your cat might have gotten into it. Six states have passed positive legislation to reduce antifreeze poisoning but most states have been unable to. If you use simple common sense in handling antifreeze your cat will remain safe, happy and healthy.